Welwyn.jpgIf it grows, it will most likely be found in Welwyn. A halfling city of farms and gardens, famous for its innumerable feasts and flavorful dishes. It is also home to the largest vineyard in Pardeux, supplying the entire continent with the sweetest wine. Many travel from nearby towns and cities to at least one of the many annual festivals to enjoy the harvest.


The story goes that a couple traveling over the hills unknowingly had a hole in their bag of grains, and as their cart moved along they dropped a perfect line of seeds that buried themselves in the hoof prints of their livestock. When the goddess Yondalla saw this, she blessed the seeds, causing them to instantly sprout up into the sunlight. The couple rejoiced and decided to make their home under the hill. It wasn’t long before they contacted their family and friends, telling them of this wondrous soil, and thus the city grew just as quickly as its first seedlings.



From above, the city more closely resembles a vast countryside; large plots of farmland with dirt roads leading between small buildings. However, the majority of the living space is just below ground in expertly sculpted burrows. The rolling hills of Welwyn are considered to be the most fertile ground in all of Pardeux. Some people say this is due to the blessings of Yondalla, the halfling goddess of fertility. Others reason that it is because halflings make their homes beneath their farms and breathe life, warmth and joy into the very roots of their crops.



Every few years, just after the autumn harvest, the city gathers to democratically elect a mayor. Historically, candidates follow no specific pattern. One may be from a wealthy family who owns a great deal of land, while the next could be gardener of modest means. It all depends on the candidates’ relationships with their neighbors; the one with the most friends tends to win.


Welwyn is home to over 11,500 residents and hosts almost 3,000 annual festival goers. Halflings make up 80% of this population, mostly hairfeets but a fair amount of stronghearts as well. The remaining 20% are a variety of races as the old saying goes, “the more the merrier!”



Though notorious for their many feasts and seemingly endless revelry, the people of Welwyn work just as hard as they play. Tending to a simple garden, much less acres upon acres of farmland, requires an immense amount of care and dedication. Not to mention the labor of sowing and reaping the lands. However, it is usually a labor of love, and the green thumbs take great pride in their work. In fact, there are often contests to see who can grow the largest of vegetables or the sweetest of fruits every year. An especially popular contest is one which tests not only who can grow the spiciest of peppers, but who can withstand eating it. The prizes for the competitions are rarely any more grand than bragging rights and a sack of gold, though a few particularly fond memories may be commemorated with works of art.


A great deal of crops are exported to other cities and towns who have more hungry mouths than farmland, such as the City of Winds, Duldahn and Oradove. The last of which also makes large orders of herbs for their potions. Though Welwyn spices and wine are always in high demand nearly all over the country. In return, they enjoy adorning their homes with artwork from A’alenora and themselves with jewelry from Duldahn.


War of Winds Symnestra